Skip to main content

School of Music records on opera

 Collection
Identifier: UA 5756

Scope and Contents

Contains promotional posters for student produced operas at Brigham Young University, portfolios from Brigham Young University students who took the class titled "Opera Workshop," and photographs related to the opera program at the BYU School of Music. Materials record the operatic history of BYU's students from 1974 to 2017.

Dates

  • 1974-2017

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy. Condition restricted. Items kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at specialcollections@byu.edu.

Biographical / Historical

The Department of Music at Brigham Young University was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), and Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).

The department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of a college dean. The department was associated with various colleges, including the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1964), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1998).

The courses included basic voice, choir, military band, piano, orchestra, band, solfeggio, and composition. Private courses were available to students at an additional cost in violin, clarinet, and cornet. Beginning in 1921 music theory courses were added to the curriculum.

Biographical / Historical

The Department of Music at Brigham Young University was renamed in 1998 as the School of Music. The School offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the disciplines of: theory, analysis, aural development, keyboard, sight-singing skills, composition, history, literature, instrumental and vocal performance, conducting, and pedagogy. The school operates under a director who reports to the Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Directors have included David M. Randall (1998-2004), Dale E. Monson (2004-2009), Kory Katseanes (2009-2015), and Kirt Saville (2015-).

Biographical / Historical

Lawrence P. Vincent was born approximately 1949 and served a mission in the Netherlands. He then attended college at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. On September 10, 1971, Lawrence P Vincent and Jean Prows were married in Los Angeles City, California, and since have together had 3 sons: Todd, Ethan, and Zachary. After Lawrence graduated from BYU with a bachelor's degree in music in 1973, the Vincent family moved to Overton, Nevada to pursue a master’s degree in vocal performance at Northern Arizona University. Lawrence Vincent moved his family to Ann Arbor, Michigan where John McCollum agreed to accept him as a private student and, after 3 years of study, received his doctorate in performance from University of Michigan.

Lawrence began his career with the Goldovsky Opera Company in New York City. Vincent landed a job in Trier, Germany, and 3 years later he was offered a primary position in the Vienna Volksoper. Over his 15 years of professional singing, Lawrence preformed in major theaters in Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, Australia, Israel, Africa, Scandinavia, and the United States, and was awarded Austrian Citizenship for his "extraordinary contribution to the arts" in 1994.

Lawrence Vincent returned to the United States and in 1997 began as a music professor at Brigham Young University. He retired on June 17, 2017 after many years of being Director of Opera in the Brigham Young University School of Music.

Extent

1 box (0.5 linear ft.)

5 oversize boxes (5.75 linear ft.)

1 carton (1 linear ft.)

5 oversize folders (3.5 linear ft.)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Arranged in three series: 1. School of Music opera photographs, 1998-2010. 2. School of Music opera promotional posters, 1974-2017. 3. School of Music opera workshop portfolios, 2001-2016.

Custodial History

Donated by Lawrence Vincent, director of the opera program, in June 2017.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Lawrence Vincent; June 2017.

Appraisal

Campus activities (University Archives Collection Development Policy, V. B. II. 2. D., October 2015).

Processing Information

Processed; Hayley Gorham, student manuscript processor, and Cory Nimer, curator; 2018.

Processing Information

Processed; Meghan Hoesch, student manuscript processor, and Cory Nimer, curator; 2020.

Title
Register of School of Music records on opera
Status
Completed
Author
Hayley Gorham
Date
2018 January 8
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Revision Statements

  • 2023 March 22: Extent and instances updated; Karen Glenn.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US