Skip to main content

College of Engineering Sciences and Technology project records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 5367

Scope and Contents

Contains materials from the Brigham Young University College of Engineering Sciences and Technology, including research materials for college projects, theses drafts, class and exam notes from various engineering and communications courses, geological reports produced by faculty, building design data, and other records. Materials date from between 1966 and 1981.

Dates

  • 1966-1981

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology project records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Administrative History

The College of Engineering Sciences and Technology (1973-1984) was an administrative unit at Brigham Young University.

The College of Engineering Sciences and Technology was established in 1973 when the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences split into the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology and the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The college continued in operation under its name until it was established as the College of Engineering and Technology in 1984. Between 1973 and 1984, the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology was administered by deans Armin J. Hill and L. Douglas Smoot. The College of Engineering Sciences and Technology was the administering body for the following departments: Chemical Engineering Science, Civil Engineering Science, Electrical Engineering Science, Mechanical Engineering Science, Industrial Education, Technology, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. The college was administered by a dean under the direction of the president of the university.

Administrative History

The College of Physical and Engineering Science (1954-1973) was established after the division of the College of Arts and Sciences.

The College of Physical and Engineering Sciences was established in 1954 by Ernest L. Wilkinson. Once housed in the College of Arts and Sciences, the new college was meant to focus on education and principles of physical science for students interested in engineering, industrial work, and research in various scientific fields. In 1973, Dallin H. Oaks changed the college to the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology.

Extent

4 cartons (4 linear ft.)

1 oversize box (1.66 linear ft.)

4 folders (0.2 linear ft.)

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

Materials transferred to the repository by Records Management in 1989.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; 1989.

Appraisal

Administration (University Archives Collection Development Policy, V.b.v.2.a, October 8, 2015).

Processing Information

Processed; 2007.

Revised; Jeremy Meservy, student manuscript processor, and Cory Nimer, curator; 2018.

Revised; Andy VanDomelen, student manuscript processor, and Cory Nimer, curator; 2019.

Title
Register of College of Engineering Sciences and Technology project records
Status
Completed
Author
Jeremy Meservy
Date
2017 October 17
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Revision Statements

  • 2018 April 30: Reorganized the collection into three series and removed irrelevant published materials; Jeremy Meservy, student processor.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US