Institute of American Indian Services and Research missionary files, 1961-1974
Scope and Contents
Contains office information, financial files, correspondence, missionary files, project files, personal files, and other miscellaneous materials associated with the collection.
- Other: 1961-1974
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Institute of American Indian Services and Research collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
Established in 1960, the Institute of American Indian Studies and Research services various agencies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with programs that relate to the Indians of America; to assist BYU and other units within the Unified Church School system to develop programs for the enlargement and improvement of the educational opportunities for Indians; to cooperate with governmental agencies in their attempts to improve Indian adjustment to a more satisfactory participation within the predominant society; and to work with Indian tribes or groups as they attempt to solve their own problems.
The institute was approved in 1958 but did not officially begin operations until the 1960-1961 school year. Elder Spencer W. Kimball served as honorary chairman of the institute, while remaining staff included Lyman S. Tyler, director; John T. Bernhard; Ward Despain; Bob Guiellian, secretary; and BYU President Ernest L. Wilkinson ex-official member.
With the organization of the institute, the BYU Indian education effort served two purposes: to provide a college education for Native American students, to study Indian needs and social problems, and to initiate programs designed to fill those needs and solve those problems.
In 1964, Paul E. Felt, assistant professor of religion, became the director of the office of Indian Affairs for BYU. In 1965 the official title became the Institute of American Indian Research and Services. The Institute focused on making the resources of BYU and the church available to Indians off campus. Claude Duerden became the Indian student advisor. In 1966, under Dr. Royce Flandro, the Department of Indian Education in the General College became responsible for Indian students on campus.
Coordination and planning of Indian education became the major responsibility of the office. It also continued to assist the administration of the Indian Studies minor program and with the Indian teacher education program of the College of Education.
Dr. Flandro took a sabbatical leave in 1968. Rondo Harmon, who had worked with Flandro as an advisor, became acting chairman of the department, a position he held until Dr. Flandro returned in 1970. Concern for the Lamanite students after graduation led to the establishment of an Indian Alumni Association in 1971. Dr. Arturo DeHoyos assumed responsibility for advising Indian graduate students.
In 1972, Dr. Dale Tingey became director of the Institute with Floyd Larson as his assistant. The Institute was transferred administratively from the General College to the Division of Continuing Education.
Dr. Dale Tingey served as the director of the Institute. William Kelly was his assistant director handling the office affairs and Howard T. Rainer, also assistant director, handled the funding.
The program operated as an extended arm of the University to set up and support Indian programs throughout the country. they deal exclusively with off-campus programs and work closely with the Development Office to obtain grants and funds.
The series is divided into nine subsections: 1. Missionary Regional Rep files, 1961-1972; and 2. General missionary files, 1964-1974.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA623.xml
- Brigham Young University. Division of Continuing Education
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Indian Student Placement Program (1954-1996)
- Church work with Indians -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Colleges and Universities
- Felt, Paul E., 1916-1999
- Files (Records)
- Financial records
- Indians of North America
- Indians of North America -- Education
- Larsen, Floyd
- Tingey, Dale Thomas
- Tyler, S. Lyman (Samuel Lyman), 1920-1998
- Brigham Young University. Institute of American Indian Services and Research (Creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Institute of Lamanite Research and Services (Creator, Organization)