Skip to main content

Graduate School records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 118

Scope and Contents

Collection includes correspondence to and from Deans Christen Jensen (1953-1954), George H. Hansen (1954-1957), and A. Smith Pond (1957-1959) concerning the graduate programs, policies and requirements for admittance. Also includes memorandums concerning graduate awards, nominations for honorary degrees and the religious influence and standards of Brigham Young University. Collection also includes reports, recommendations, memos on procedures, proposals and policy and regulations.

Dates

  • 1952-1969

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Graduate School collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

Brigham Young University was established in 1875 as Brigham Young Academy. It has since grown into one of the largest private institutions of higher education in the United States. The Board of Trustees for Brigham Young University is the governing body for that institution. The university president reports directly to it, and it decides many matters regarding university policy. The board started operation with the founding of the university in 1875. Brigham Young University traces its roots to Utah's rich pioneer heritage. The original school, Brigham Young Academy, was established Oct. 16, 1875, on a little over one acre of land in what is now downtown Provo. At that time, Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, charged that all secular learning at the institution should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Speaking to Academy Principal Karl G. Maeser, President Young said, "Brother Maeser, I want you to remember that you ought not to teach even the alphabet or the multiplication tables without the Spirit of God." BYU has remained true to that original charge. Despite steady growth during its early years, the academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot and other area business leaders, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities located on University Avenue. The academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University. Work began in 1909 on the Maeser Memorial Building, the first of many structures on the university's present site. Successive university administrations oversaw the university's progressive growth, increasing both the number of buildings and the size of the student body. The university's academic development was signified by the inauguration of the school's first doctoral program in 1957. With the help of committed presidents, the university continued to grow, refine its mission and pursue excellence in academics and faith. The university remains dedicated to the integration of academic excellence with faith in Jesus Christ and His restored gospel. The Board of Trustees for Brigham Young University is the governing body for that institution. The university president reports directly to it, and it decides many matters regarding university policy. The board started operation with the founding of the university in 1875.

Extent

2 boxes (1 linear ft.)

Language

English

Overview

Collection includes correspondence to and from Deans Christen Jensen (1953-1954), George H. Hansen (1954-1957), and A. Smith Pond (1957-1959) concerning the graduate programs, policies and requirements for admittance. Also includes memorandums concerning graduate awards, nominations for honorary degrees and the religious influence and standards of Brigham Young University.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA118.xml

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Title
Register of Graduate School records
Status
Completed
Author
Rose Frank
Date
2011 July 13
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States