Skip to main content

College of Fine Arts and Communications records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1056

Scope and Contents

Collection contains correspondence from the deans' office, Administrative Advisory Council information, building records (including blueprints and plans for the Harris Fine Arts Center), faculty files, and other general files related to the functioning of the College of Fine Arts and Communications, dating from between 1938 and 1994.

Dates

  • 1938-1994

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from College of Fine Arts and Communications Deans' Office records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Brigham Young University College of Fine Arts (1925-1963) was an academic administrative unit.

The College of Fine Arts was established in 1925 when the College of Arts and Sciences transferred over some of its departments to create a separate college. It continued in operation under its name until it was established as the College of Fine Arts and Communications in 1963. College deans included: Gerrit de Jong, Jr. (1925-1959), John R. Halliday (acting dean, 1947), and Conan E. Mathews (1959-1963).

Administrative History

The Brigham Young University College of Fine Arts and Communication (established 1963) is an academic administrative unit.

In 1963 the College of Fine Arts became the College of Fine Arts and Communications. The college administers academic departments in the areas of arts, theater, dance, music, journalism, and broadcasting. The college also has responsibility for BYU Broadcasting, the Museum of Art, NewsNet, and the School of Music. College deans have included: Conan E. Mathews (1963-1966), Clawson Cannon (1967), Lorin F. Wheelwright (1967-1973), Lael J. Woodbury (1973-1982), James A. Mason (1982-1993), Bruce L. Christensen (1993-2000), K. Newell Dayley (2000-2003), and Stephen M. Jones (2003- ).

Extent

2 cartons (2 linear ft.)

46 boxes (24 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged into eight series: 1. Collection on the Advisory Council, 1981-1990. 2. Building records, 1938-1965. 3. Correspondence, 1959-1966. 4. Faculty records, 1956-1966. 5. General records, 1981-1994. 6. Dean records, 1979-1992. 7. Collection on the Mormon Festival of Arts, 1970-1973. 8. Sound recordings, 1963-1979.

The collection arrived in a useable working order and that order was maintained. The majority of the files are arranged chronologically.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1056.xml

Custodial History

Transferred from Records Management in August 2003.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; Aug. 2003.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; Feb. 2004.
Title
Register of College of Fine Arts and Communications records
Status
Completed
Author
Benjamin Sipes
Date
2011 July 13
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States