Department of Music chair records
Scope and Contents
- Brigham Young University. Department of Music (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
The Department of Music was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), and Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).
The department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of a college dean. The department was associated with various colleges, including the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1964), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1998).
The courses included basic voice, choir, military band, piano, orchestra, band, solfeggio, and composition. Private courses were available to students at an additional cost in violin, clarinet, and cornet. Beginning in 1921 music theory courses were added to the curriculum.
7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
2 oversize folders (0.6 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Register of the Department of Music chair records
- Jim Dooley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008