Skip to main content

Office of Information Technology records

 Collection — Folder: 41
Identifier: UA 1241

Scope and Contents

Contains records of the Office of Information Technology and its predecessors, including general files, campus building records, history records, vendor documents and information, financial records, correspondence, and staff meeting minutes. Records relate to the function of the organization in providing technology and information systems to the university, 1966-2009.

Dates

  • 1966-2009
  • Majority of material found within 1966-1998

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Office of Information Technology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Administrative History

The Office of Information Technology (est. 2001) provides products, services, and support to meet the technology needs of Brigham Young University. The Office of IT was established in 2001 and maintains technology systems for the university such as Route Y, Network Connect, AccessPoint Labs, AccessPoint Ports, Computer Rentals, and Media Equipment Delivery. It is administered by the IT Vice President/Chief Information Officer (CIO) who reports directly to the president of the university. IT Vice Presidents/CIO have included Eric L. Denna (2001-2003) and Kelly J. Flanagan (2003- ).

Administrative History

The University Computing Services (1992-2000) provided computing services to Brigham Young University.

In 1992, Information Systems Services was reorganized into University Computing Services. Kelly C. McDonald served as Executive Director. The University Computing Services assisted faculty, staff and students with computing services and micrographs. In 2000, University Computing Services was reorganized into Information Technology Services.

Administrative History

Information Systems Services (1985-1992) provided computing services at Brigham Young University.

In 1985 Computer Services was reorganized into the Information Systems Services. William H. Gardner served as Executive Director (1985-1991) and was later replaced by Kelly C. McDonald (1991-1992). The Information Systems Services assisted faculty, staff and students with computing services and micrographs. In addition to handling and maintaining equipment, the organization provided knowledgeable assistants and multiple computer programs to help in technology training and trouble-shooting. In 1992 the unit was reorganized as University Computing Services.

Administrative History

Computer Services (1969-1985) was responsible for computing facilities at Brigham Young University.

Computer Services was organized in 1969 with the expansion and reorganization of the Computer Research Center. The organization managed the Computer Research Center, the Engineering Analysis Center, and the Science Computation Center as well as providing extensive computing facilities to faculty, staff, and students. The organization also facilitated the Information Center and the PC Technical Support Group. Computer Services was run by a director who reported to the Academic Vice-President. Directors of Computers Services included: Gary Carlson (1969-1981) and Willard H. Gardner (1981-1985). Computers Services was reorganized in 1984 into Information Systems Services.

Administrative History

The Computer Research Center (1958-1973) assisted the university with its computing services and research needs.

The Computer Research Center was established in 1958 under the direction of Gary Carlson. The center served individual students doing classwork, as well as graduate students and faculty researchers. It also fulfilled the University administrative data processing needs. The center equipment included an IBM 360/50 with all the normal related input and output equipment and programming languages. The center assisted in correlating all computer operations and offered an expanded curriculum in computer sciences. The Computer Research Center was placed under Computer Services in 1969 and abolished in 1973.

Extent

24 boxes (12 linear ft.)

15 cartons (15 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Contains six series: 1. Office of Information Technology administration files, 1971-2009. 2. Office of Information Technology records on BYU buildings, 1968-1994. 3. Office of Information Technology records on Virtual Address eXtension (VAX) history, 1975-1996. 4. Office of Information Technology records on department history, 1966-2009. 5. Office of Information Technology records on finance and products, 1966-1998. 6. Office of Information Technology mintues, 1966-1998.

Original order was maintained.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1241.xml

Custodial History

Transferred by the Office of Information Technology through Records Management in 2006, 2011, and 2015.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; 2006, 2011, 2015.

Appraisal

Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; February 2006.

Processed; Dani Peterson; January 2012.

Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer; March 2015.

Processed; McKinley Griffin; January 2016.
Title
Register of Office of Information Technology records
Status
Completed
Author
Amanda Jo Lindell
Date
2006 February
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States