Skip to main content

School of Music records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 5538

Scope and Contents

Collection includes administrative files and faculty histories for Brigham Young University School of Music. Included are annual reports, faculty responsibilities, curriculum changes, oral histories, scrapbooks and musical performances. Creation dates range from 1986 to 2011.

Dates

  • 1986-2011

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from School of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The School of Music (1998- ) operates under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University and provides undergraduate and graduate degrees in various musical fields.

The Department of Music was renamed in 1998 as the School of Music. The school offers degrees in the disciplines of: theory, analysis, aural development, keyboard, sight-singing skills, composition, history, literature, instrumental and vocal performance, conducting, and pedagogy. The school operates under a director who reports to the Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Directors have included David M. Randall (1998-2004), Dale E. Monson (2004-2009), and Kory Katseanes (2009- ).

Administrative History

Department of Music (1920-1998) was responsible for teaching a variety of courses in music. The courses included: basic voice, choir, military band, piano, orchestra, band, solfeggio, and composition. Private courses were available to students at an additional cost in violin, clarinet, and cornet. Beginning in 1921 music theory courses were added to the curriculum.

The department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of a college dean. The department was associated with various colleges, including the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1964), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1998).

The Department of Music was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).

Extent

5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)

1 carton (1 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged in 2 series: 1. School of Music administrative files, 1986-2009. 2. School of Music faculty histories, 2008-2011.

Custodial History

Materials were compiled by the School of Music and transferred to the University Archives in July 2010. Additional materials were transferred in May 2012.

Transferred from Records Management in May 2013.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; School of Music; July 2010.

Transferred; School of Music; May 2012.

Transferred; Records Management; May 2013.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

General

Box 5 missing since 2010.

Processing Information

Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; July 2010.

Processed; Dani Peterson; May 2012.

Processed; Sarah Leavitt; May 2013.
Title
Register of the School of Music records
Status
Completed
Author
J. Gordon Daines III
Date
2010 July 19
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States