Harold B. Lee Library records
Scope and Contents
- Harold B. Lee Library (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollorton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).
The library was renamed as the Clark Library in 1961, following the construction of a new library building. The library was later renamed as the Harold B. Lee Library in 1973. Library directors included S. Lyman Tyler (1961-1966) and Donald K. Nelson (1966-1973).
The Harold B. Lee Library was aligned with Media Services under the Assistant Academic Vice President of Brigham Young University in 1973. In that same year, the J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library was renamed the Harold B. Lee Library. Internally, the Harold B. Lee Library is managed by the library director, who is aided by an associate university librarian and assistant university librarians, who oversee divisions of the library. Donald K. Nelson continued as Library Director from 1973 to 1980; Sterling J. Albrecht served as director from 1980 to 2002; Randy J. Olsen served as director from 2002 to 2009, and Julene Butler became library director January 1, 2010. The library building was expanded in 1976 and 2000 and continues to provide students and faculty access to scholarly materials.
72 boxes (36 linear ft.)
17 cartons (17 linear ft.)
5 oversize (3.5 linear ft.)
3 folders (0.21 linear ft.)
The materials have been left in the original order in which they were found. This order appears to be grouped by subject.
Other Finding Aids
In reviewing the collection content in 2012, a number of series were combined.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; University Archivist; March 2009.
Transferred; Records Management; June 2009.
Transferred; Harold B. Lee Library Administrative Offices; July 2009.
Transferred; Records Management; August 2012.
Transferred; Harold B. Lee Library Administrative Offices; November 2013.
Transferred; Records Management; May 2016.
Processed; Kayla Quinney; March 2009.
Processed; Matthew Leavitt; July 2009.
Processed; Dani Peterson; October 2012.
Processed; Joshua Barton; November 2013.
Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer; March 2015.
Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer, April 2015.
Processed; Eric Wolford, January 2017.
Processed; Ashley Chase, October 2020.
- Brigham Young University. Library
- Church Educational System
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Collection development (Libraries) -- Utah -- Provo
- Colleges and Universities
- Harold B. Lee Library -- Statistics
- Harold B. Lee Library. University Archives
- J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library
- Minutes (Records)
- Plaques, plaquettes
- Register of Harold B. Lee Library records
- Kayla Quinney and Matthew Leavitt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2012 October 21: Series revised and updated; Dani Peterson.
- 2013 November: Addendum added and description updated; Joshua Barton.
- 2015 March: Addendum made and description updated; Jenna Kirchhoefer.
- 2015 April 6: Addendum made and description updated; Jenna Kirchhoefer.
- 2017 January 4: Addendum made and description updated; Eric Wolford.
- 2020 October 12: Addendum to series 1 and 2; Ashley Chase