Philip II letters to Alonso de Vargas
Scope and Contents
36 letters and documents, all in Spanish. They are mainly in clerical italic scripts, and all have the King's signature (29 are autographed and 7 have the stamped royal signature) with countersignatures by the royal secretaries.
All items were sent to Alonso de Vargas (d. 1595), one of the most trusted and able of Philip's commanders. These documents relate to the offensive against the Netherlands revolt during 1574-76, Philip's meticulous preparations to assume the crown of Portugal in 1580, the defeat of England's invasion of Portugal in 1589, and the restoration of royal control in Aragon after 1591.
- Philip II, King of Spain, 1527-1598 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Philip II letters to Alonso de Vargas must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Philip II was King of Spain (1556-1598) and Portugal (1580-1598), with extensive holdings in the New World and on continental Europe. He ruled Spain and the Spanish Empire at their greatest power and widest geographical extent. He was active in support of his family, the Habsburgs, and of Catholic causes in Europe.
36 items (52 leaves) : handwritten
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Cite as; Alonso de Vargas Papers, 1574-1591.
- Netherlands -- History -- Eighty Years' War, 1568-1648
- Philip II, King of Spain, 1527-1598 -- Correspondence
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Portugal -- History -- Spanish dynasty, 1580-1640 -- Sources
- Spain -- History -- Philip II, 1556-1598
- Spain -- Kings and rulers -- Correspondence
- Spain -- Politics and government -- 1556-1598
- Vargas, Alonso de
- Register of Philip II letters to Alonso de Vargas
- In Progress
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 December 15
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.