Joseph Hawkins papers
Scope and Contents
Six items relating to Joseph Hawkins' role in the Mormon War in Missouri. Includes original handwritten and signed letters from Missouri Governor Lilburn W. Boggs, Adjutant General B. M. Lisle, and Brigadier General Green White, which contain military orders to Hawkins. Also includes a printed general order (original was removed to print collection) by Lilburn W. Boggs and B. M. Lisle; and, a newspaper article on Joseph Hawkins from a 1924 Missouri newspaper.
- Majority of material found within 1838-1839
- Hawkins, Joseph, 1794- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Hawkins (born 1794) was a colonel in the Missouri Militia during the Missouri Mormon War.
Joseph Hawkins was born in North Carolina to William Henley Hawkins and Susannah Wesley in 1794. In 1819 he married Elizabeth McCrary, and they had two children together. From 1838 to 1839, Hawkins held the rank of a colonel in the Missouri Militia, serving as commander of the Gasconade County Volunteers. In about 1840, Hawkins married Prudence Reed in Gasconade County, Missouri. Hawkins served in the 1838 Missouri Mormon War.
Date and place of death is unknown.
2 folders (0.07 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Collection was in the possession of a descendant of Hawkins in Missouri as late as 1924. It is unclear how or when the collection came to BYU.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
LDS cultural, family, social, intellectual, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1, November 2013).
Existence and Location of Copies
Transcription available in folder 2.
Record updated for DACS compliance and value-added processing; Ryan K. Lee; 2017.
- Boggs, Lillburn W., 1792-1860
- Church and state -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History -- 19th century
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Military orders
- Missouri -- Militia -- History
- Missouri -- Politics and government -- To 1865
- Mormons -- Persecutions -- Missouri -- History
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Register of Joseph Hawkins papers
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 30
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.