Gregory XIII letter to Philip II
Item — Folder: 1
Identifier: Vault MSS 754
Scope and Contents
Handwritten letter on velum addressed to Philip II of Spain. The item explains that king Sebastian of Portugal left no heirs and therefore Philip II, Sebastian's uncle, would be the appropriate choice as a successor to the throne of Portugal. Philip II includes an addendum on the item explaining that the pope is actually serving his own needs by desiring to put a Catholic king on the throne of Portugal.
- Catholic Church. Pope (1572-1585 : Gregory XIII) (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Gregory XIII letter to Philip II must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Gregory XIII was pope from 1572 to 1585.
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Gregory XIII, Pope, 1502-1585
- Philip II, King of Spain, 1527-1598 -- Correspondence
- Political Campaigns
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Popes -- Correspondence
- Portugal -- History -- Philip II, 1556-1598 -- Sources
- Sebastião, King of Portugal, 1554-1578
- Spain -- History -- Philip II, 1556-1598
- Register of Gregory XIII letter to Philip II
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 30
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.