Brigham Young letter to Samuel W. Richards
Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: Vault MSS 779
Scope and Contents
Handwritten and signed letter dated 27 Feb. 1853 and addressed to Samuel W. Richards in Liverpool, England. The item was composed in Salt Lake City, Utah. Young reports on the condition of Utah at the end of a severe winter during which the Utahns received no mail from outside the territory. Young also writes about the sugar industry in Utah, the progress on buildings and machinery of the Deseret Manufacturing Company, the excavations on the foundation of the Salt Lake Temple, the activities of the territorial legislature, and funds for the emigration of Mormons to Utah. He also comments on the necissity and benefits of lengthy missions for the Mormon Church that would last for two to five years.
- 1853 February 27
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
Colonizer, governor of the Utah Territory, and second president of the Mormon Church.
1 item (4 p.)
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions
- Deseret Manufacturing Company -- History
- Mormon Church -- Presidents
- Mormon pioneers -- History
- Mormons -- Correspondence
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- Richards, Samuel W. (Samuel Whitney), 1824-1909
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Salt Lake Temple -- History
- Sugar -- Manufacture and refining -- History -- Sources
- Utah. Legislature -- History
- Register of Brigham Young letter to Samuel W. Richards
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 21
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.