Utah Territorial Militia (Nauvoo Legion) Iron County Militia Roster
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: Vault MSS 801
Scope and Contents
12.5 inch by 4 inch, 24 page booklet made from six folded leaves, bound with string. Written in dark ink, possibly partly written in the hand of James H. Martineau. Militia Roster, June 1857. Includes the companies and platoons to which approximately 450 men were assigned. Some changes have been made in the manuscript; some indicate promotions in their company or platoon.
- 1857 June
- Dame, William Horne, 1819-1884 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Original restricted. Photocopy and typescript available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Utah Territorial Militia (Nauvoo Legion) Iron County Militia Roster must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
Following the instructions and appointment given him by the Utah Territorial government as published in the Deseret News (Salt Lake City, volume 7, no. 6), William H. Dame organized the Iron County Military District, an area embracing Beaver, Iron, and Washington Counties in southern Utah. This document is the roster of that initial organization and contains the names and platoons of the some 450 men, ages about 16 to 60,where they were assigned,and who their officers were. The companies were organized on 6 June 1857. This is the most comprehensive list of militia members in southern Utah prior to the massacre at Mountain Meadows on 11 September 1857. Another listing was made in October 1857 and is housed in the Utah Territorial Militia Collection of the Utah State Archives in Salt Lake City. There are differences in the two lists.
3 folders (0.15 linear ft.)
Seller has owned the document for over ten years. He does not remember from whom he purchased it.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased; Beehive Antiques, Salt Lake City, Utah; November 2001.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Transcription available in Folder 4.
- Allen, Rufus C., 1827-
- Beaver County (Utah) -- History
- Cedar City (Utah) -- History
- Dame, William Horne, 1819-1884
- Farnsworth, Philo Taylor, 1906-1971
- Haight, Isaac Chauncey, 1813-1886
- Haskell, Thales
- Hatch, Ira
- Higbee, John M.
- Iron County (Utah) -- History
- Judd, Zadok K
- Leavitt, Dudley
- Lee, John D. (John Doyle), 1812-1877
- Marineau, James H
- New Harmony (Utah) -- History
- Parowan (Utah) -- History
- Pendleton, Calvin Crane
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Urie, Jacob
- Utah -- History, Military
- Utah. Militia
- Washington County (Utah) -- History
- Register of Utah Territorial Militia (Nauvoo Legion), Iron County Militia Roster, 1857 June
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 18
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.