Kit Carson papers
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: Vault MSS 513
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, military dispatches, a deed, a Taos County Resolution, and two payment vouchers. Nine of these items are personal in nature and are addressed to Carson from friends and family members. The remaining thirty-five letters are concerned with and document Indian affairs. They include instructions from superiors, official correspondence regarding military actions during the American Civil War in the West. They document aspects of the Jicarilla War of 1854-55, the Mescalero Campaign of 1862-3, the Navajo Expedition of 1863-64, and the possibility of using forces against Texas in 1862.
- Carson, Kit, 1809-1868 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
American frontiersman, army scout, and Indian agent.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS513.xml
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Abatement (Judicial functions)
- Apache Indians -- Wars -- History
- Comanche Indians -- Wars -- History -- Sources
- Indian agents -- United States -- Correspondence
- Jicarilla Indians -- Wars -- History -- Sources
- Material Types
- Mescalero Indians -- Wars -- History -- Sources
- Navajo Indians -- Wars -- History -- Sources
- New Mexico -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- New York (N.Y.) -- Description and travel
- Paris (France) -- Description and travel
- Taos County (N.M.) -- History -- Sources
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Register of Kit Carson papers
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 October 31
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.