George A. and Elizabeth B. Custer papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: Vault MSS 364
Scope and Contents
This collection includes miscellaneous correspondence of both Custers including military reports and orders, newspaper clippings, and two patents issued to G. A. Custer. Correspondents include Edwin. M. Stanton, Zachariah Chandler, Reuben E. Fenton, Andrew Johnson, Lawrence Barrett, William T. Sherman, Nelson A. Miles, B. O. Aylesworth, and A. B. Ostrander.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
George Armstrong Custer was a famous cavalry officer during the Civil War and the Indian wars of the 1860s and 1870s. Elizabeth Bacon Custer, his wife, was the author of several works about Army life on the plains. After the death of her husband, she dedicated her life to defending his honor.
6 folder (1.2 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS364.xml
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters), 1814-1869 (Person)
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 (Person)
- Custer, Elizabeth Bacon, 1842-1933 (Person)
- Custer, George A. (George Armstrong), 1839-1876 (Person)
- Ostrander, Alson Bowles, 1849-1934 (Person)
- Miles, Nelson Appleton, 1839-1925 (Person)
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891 (Person)
- Aylesworth, Barton Orville, 1860-1933 (Person)
- United States Military Academy (Organization)
- Barrett, Lawrence, 1838-1891 (Person)
- Fenton, Reuben Eaton (Person)
- Chandler, Zachariah (Person)
- Register of George A. and Elizabeth B. Custer papers
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 October 17
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.