Samuel Guthrie papers
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSS 1600
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, patents, legal documents, genealogies, newspaper articles, obituaries, and historical accounts by or about Samuel Guthrie and other members of the Guthrie family. The correspondence between Samuel Guthrie and his daughter Harriet Guthrie Chamberlain concern personal and family matters and describe Samuel's patents on chloroform and the percussion cap. Items by Alfred Guthrie include information about the steamboat inspection and regulation in the United States and a detailed account of his brother Edwin's war experiences during the war with Mexico (1845-1848). Other materials also relate to the westward movement of the 1840's, the Anti-Mason party, and the presidential election of 1828 and inauguration of 1829.
- Guthrie, Samuel, 1782-1848 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
American chemist and inventor of chloroform and the percussion cap.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1600.xml
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Finding aid available in the repository.
- Chamberlain, Harriet Guthrie
- Chloroform -- History
- Freemasonry -- United States -- History
- Guthrie family
- Guthrie, Alfred, 1805-1882
- Guthrie, Edwin
- Guthrie, Samuel, 1782-1848
- Jackson County (Iowa) -- History
- Jefferson County (N.Y.) -- History
- Material Types
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- History
- Muzzle-loading firearms -- United States -- History
- Presidents -- United States -- Inauguration -- History
- Ships -- Inspection -- United States -- History
- United States -- History -- 1825-1829
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel
- Register of Samuel Guthrie papers
- Jennifer Kim
- 2011 September 13
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.