Yesharah Society records
Scope and Contents
- Yesharah Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
In 1928 the first organization of lady returned missionaries was founded at the home of Inez Knight. The first members of this organization consisted of the first female missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The name given to this newly formed society was Yesharah, meaning up-rightness and integrity. Since the founding of the Yesharah Society many other chapters have been formed throughout the state of Utah.
The Yesharah Society was formed with the express purpose of perpetuating the missionary spirit and to allow its members to give service within the community as well as to promote love, unity and precious friendships within the society. Service included: visiting the sick, writing to missionaries in the mission field, visiting convalescent homes and hospitals, supporting children’s institutions, visiting the families of those away at war, and donating membership histories and books to the Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. The Society continues to exist.
10 boxes (5 linear ft.)
2 oversize (2.50 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Register of Yesharah Society records
- In Progress
- Cynthia Ann Smith, manuscript intern; Nichole Humphries, manuscripts intern; and John M. Murphy, curator.
- 2009 April 22
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.