George Spilsbury autobiography
Scope and Contents
Handwritten autobiography with a photocopy of the item. The volume includes handwritten copies of letters received and patriarchal blessings of family members. Spilsbury writes about travelling in southern Utah as a patriarch, gives a brief description of his mission to Wales, talks about some of the prophecies of the first president of the LDS Church, Joseph Smith (1805-1844), and describes the exodus west of Mormons from Nauvoo, Illinois to Utah. Dated from 1843 to 1911.
- Spilsbury, George, 1823-1919 (author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from George Spilsbury autobiography must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
George Spilsbury (1823-1918) was a Mormon pioneer from England and patriarch who settled in St. George, Utah.
George Spilsbury was born on April 21, 1823, in Leigh, England, to Joseph Spilsbury and Hanna Vobe Haden. He joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1840. He married Fanny Smith on September 5, 1842, in England, and they had fifteen children together. He also had three other wives in his llife time Ann Cooper, Harriet Hoagland Wonfer, and Lydia Lemon. They moved to the United States in 1843 to join with the members of the church in Nauvoo where George worked as a builder and a quarryman. He later moved with the saints west to Utah and settled in southern Utah. George Spilsbury died approximately 1919 in Toquerville, Utah.
2 folders (0.1 linear ft.)
1 computer disk
Language of Materials
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy 1.V, November 2013.)
Existence and Location of Copies
Transcriptions are located on m-disc, in MSS 117.
Processed; Rose Frank; April 2011.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Wales -- History
- Latter Day Saint pioneers -- History
- Latter Day Saints -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Missions and Missionaries
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Patriarchal blessings (Latter Day Saint churches) -- History
- Saint George (Utah) -- History
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844
- Spilsbury, George, 1823-1919
- Register of George Spilsbury autobiography
- In Progress
- Rose Frank
- 2011 April 27
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.