Charles Whipple Hadley diary and correspondence
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diary and correspondence. The letters relate primarily to business and family matters. Also included are materials relating to astrology and horoscopes. The diary was kept from 1861 to 1862 when Hadley was serving with the Iowa Volunteers. His accounts are often vivid and detailed. He writes about army life and actual combat. He fought in the battle of Shiloh in April of 1862 and was captured in the fight. He was in Confederate prisons until paroled. Also included is a book by Hadley entitled: "Evolution vs. Genesis," copyrighted in 1927.
- Hadley, Charles Whipple, 1844-1936 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted due to deterioration.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diary and correspondence must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Member of the Iowa volunteers during the American Civil War. He later joined the Mormon Church and settled in Ogden, Utah.
1 v. (208 p.)(0.18 linear ft.) : (+ typescript)(86 p.)
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- City and Town Life
- Evolution (Biology) -- Religious aspects
- Evolution vs. Genesis
- Hadley, Charles Whipple, 1844-1936 -- Diaries
- Home and Family
- Mormons -- Utah -- Ogden -- History
- Ogden (Utah) -- History
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862 -- Sources
- Social Life and Customs
- Soldiers -- United States -- History
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons
- Register of Charles Whipple Hadley diary and correspondence
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 April 25
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.