Elias Smith diaries
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 1822
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of handwritten diaries. Smith writes about coming to Kirtland, Ohio, in 1836 and his subseqent moves to Nauvoo, Illinois, and to Utah in 1851. He held numerous positions in the Mormon Church and was active as a businessman and as a politician.
- Smith, Elias, 1804-1888 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon Church leader and Utah businessman, editor, and politician.
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Kirtland (Ohio) -- History
- Mormon pioneers -- Utah -- History
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Mormons -- Ohio -- Kirtland -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Smith, Elias, 1804-1888 -- Diaries
- Utah -- History
- Register of Elias Smith diaries
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 13
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.