John Mills Whitaker diaries
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 293
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of typewritten transcripts of a handwritten journal. The items were originally kept in Pitman shorthand. The entries are extensive and detailed. Whitaker was raised in Centerville, Utah but lived much of his adult life in Salt Lake City, Utah. Whitaker details his life and activities and makes observations on Utah society, the Mormon Church, and state and national politics. He had numerous callings in the Mormon Church and served as a missionary for that faith in the "Eastern States Mission" from 1897 to 1900. As a secretary for the Mormon Church's First Council of Seventy and its Deseret Sunday School Union, he observed the Church's governing bodies. Also as a son-in-law of the third president of the Mormon Church, John Taylor, Whitaker was familiarity with many of the policies and procedures of the First Presidency of that faith. Also included are transcripts of Whitaker's funeral in 1960.
- Whitaker, John Mills, 1863-1960 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon Church leader, secretary, businessman, teacher, and missionary.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
The original diaries are at the University of Utah.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Selected materials from this collection appear on film SCM 265 Item 1.
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Apostles--History
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- East (U.S.)
- Mormon Church -- Presidents -- History
- Mormon missionaries -- East (U.S.) -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Taylor, John, 1808-1887
- Utah -- History
- Whitaker, John Mills, 1863-1960 -- Diaries
- Register of John Mills Whitaker diaries
- Megan Furcini
- 2011 March 22
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.