Skip to main content

Circuit Court legal documents

 File — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 1247

Scope and Contents

Photocopies of handwritten legal documents. The collection includes petitions, contracts, appeals, court orders, and summonses involving members of the Mormon Church.

Dates

  • 1838-1846

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Circuit Court legal documents must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Circuit Court was the highest judicial authority in Hancock County.

The circuit court system was established in 1814 in Illinois Territory. The courts were given civil and criminal jurisdiction, and were originally presided over by a member of the Supreme Court assigned to the circuit. With the admission of Illinois to the Union in 1824, five circuits were established with separate judges appointed to the circuit courts. Hancock County was formed in 1825, with the original courthouse in Montebello. In 1827 the circuit judges were removed and replaced by the Supreme Court justices. In 1833 the Hancock County courthouse was moved to Carthage. In 1835, separate circuit judges were again appointed and a sixth circuit created. This continued until 1841, when the circuit courts were again dissolved and the Supreme Court judges returned to the circuit courts. Then, with the Constitution of 1848, the courts again were placed under the direction of circuit judges.

Extent

4 folders (23 items)

Appraisal

19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Title
Register of Circuit Court legal documents
Author
Rose Frank
Date
21 March 2011
Description rules
Appm
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States