Philip Margetts papers
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of diaries, newspaper clippings, play scripts, articles on Utah and LDS Church history, and correspondence. Margetts writes about his trip to Utah in 1850. His diary covers the time he served as a missionary for the LDS Church in Great Britain from 1857 to 1858. Many of the items relate to Margetts' career in the theater, to the Salt Lake Theater, and to drama in Utah. The correspondence includes a letter from the second president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Brigham Young (1801-1877), relating to the Salt Lake Theater.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Philip Margetts papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Philip Margetts was a Mormon pioneer, missionary, and dramatist.
1 box (0.4 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Dramatists, American -- Utah -- Salt Lake City
- Margetts, Phillip, 1829-1914
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Great Britain
- Mormon missionaries -- Great Britain -- History
- Performing Arts
- Salt Lake Theatre -- History
- Theaters -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History -- Sources
- Register of Philip Margetts papers
- In Progress
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 March 18
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.