Albert Stephen Jones papers
Scope and Contents
Contains diaries and photographs, including twenty stereographs, documenting Jones's experience as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Samoa and Tonga from 1893 to 1896. The diaries detail his daily activities and talk about the nature of his work. Jones continued to write in these diaries after his return to Provo, Utah until 1902. The collections also contains a handwritten Tongan-English dictionary copied by Jones and a 1895 article on Tongan cannibalism written by Jones.
- Jones, Albert Stephen, 1871-1962 (creator, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English and Tongan.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Albert Stephen Jones diaries, photographs, and other material must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Albert Stephen Jones (1871-1962) was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Samoa and Tonga from 1893 to 1896.
Albert S. Jones was born in Provo, Utah in 1871. He later served as a missionary in the Samoan Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1893 to 1896. Most of this time was spent working in Tonga. At the close of his mission, Jones returned to his home in Provo, Utah. He died in 1962.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
3 folders (0.25 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Tonga
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Samoan Islands
- Electronic books
- Jones, Albert Stephen, 1871-1962 -- Diaries
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Samoan Islands
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Tonga
- Mormon missionaries -- Samoan Islands
- Mormon missionaries -- Tonga
- Mormons -- Samoan Islands
- Mormons -- Tonga
- Mormons -- Utah -- Provo
- Provo (Utah)
- Samoan Islands
- Tongan language -- Dictionaries -- English
- Register of Albert Stephen Jones diaries, photographs, and other material
- Megan Furcini
- 2011 March 18
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.