Manchester Library records
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of handwritten and typewritten correspondence, lists of books, secretary's record book for the years from 1817 to 1854, constitution of the Manchester Library, names of stock holders, titles of 417 books, and two Manchester Library membership books from 1825 to 1857. Many of the items relate to the work of John Pratt, who served as Manchester Librarian. The materials were originally housed in Pratt's home but are now found in the Ontario County Historical Society. The books in the Manchester Library may have been available to the first president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Joseph Smith Jr. (1805-1844), in the 1820s.
- Manchester Library (New York) (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Manchester Library records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Manchester Library is a public library in Manchester, New York.
1 folder (0.09 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Clubs and Societies
- Libraries -- New York (State) -- Manchester -- History -- Sources
- Mormon Church -- Presidents
- Mormons -- New York (State) -- History
- Ontario County Historical Society
- Pratt, John, active 1850
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844 -- Books and reading
- Social Life and Customs
- Register of Manchester Library records
- In Progress
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 March 17
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.