John U. Stucki journals
Scope and Contents
The collection contains the typescripts of the journal between the years of 1874-1917. Also contained is an index of the journals by John R. Stucki. The collection contains material on the Swiss and German Mission between the years 1874-1875 and 1888-1890; autobiographical information; and life in Southern Idaho and Northern Utah.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John U. Stucki journals must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
John Ulrich Stucki was born on 8 June 1837 to Johannes Stucki and Elizabeth Sauter in Switzerland. He was baptized on 1 November 1856. He emigrated to Utah in 1859, and eventually settled in Paris, Bear Lake, Idaho. He served as a mission president twice to the Swiss and German Mission, once in 1874 and in 1888, each period lasting about two and a half years. He died on 18 June 1918.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC3117.xml
The typescripts of this collection have remained at the BYU Library since being donated in September 2000. The original journals are scattered among descendants of John Ulrich Stucki family. Donated to the Brigham Young University Library on 25 September 2000 by John Gee, son of Dr. Laurence Gee, the donor of the collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; John Gee; 2000.
19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Swiss and German Mission -- Diaries
- England -- History -- 19th century
- England -- History -- 20th century
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Germany -- Diaries
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Switzerland -- Diaries
- Logan (Utah) -- History
- Missions and Missionaries
- Paris (Idaho) -- History
- Providence (Utah) -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Stucki, John Ulrich, 1837-1918 -- Diaries
- Swiss Americans -- Idaho -- History
- Swiss Americans -- Utah -- History
- Register of John U. Stucki journals
- Rose Frank
- 3 March 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.