William Wines Phelps papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains papers, certificates, and photographs relating to William W. Phelps, son of Henry E. and Mary Catherine Phelps. The collection also includes material relating to his LDS mission to Britain around 1903 as well as in the Pioneer and Ensign stakes. He was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, 16 February, 1866 and died 30 August, 1945.
- Phelps, William Wines, 1866-1945 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the William Wines Phelps papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Biographical / Historical
William Wines Phelps (1866-1945) was a grandson of W. W. Phelps and an LDS missionary in the British Mission.
William Wines Phelps was born February 16, 1866. He was the son of Henry Enon Phelps and Mary Catherin Meiklehohn and grandson of the prominent early LDS leader W. W. Phelps. William was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Edward Taylor, son of President John Taylor. He was given a patriarchal blessing by John Smith the Patriarch on May 7, 1875. He then served as president of the Birmingham Conference in England, as part of his mission to England. After returning to Utah he served as a missionary in both the Pioneer and Ensign stakes. William died August 30, 1945.
15 folders (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC3222.xml
Donated by Jean Clawson, who acted on behalf of Shelly Johnson in 2001.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Jean Clawson, acting in behalf of Shelly Johnson; October 2001.
LDS and Utah and the American West cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1 and 4, November 2013).
Updated for DACS compliance; Ryan K. Lee; 2017.
- Cannon, Sylvester Q. (Sylvester Quayle), 1877-1943
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- England
- Grant, Heber J. (Heber Jeddy), 1856-1945
- Kimball, Jonathan Golden, 1853-1938
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- England
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- England
- Liverpool (England)
- Lyman, Francis M. (Francis Marion), 1840-1916
- Missions and Missionaries
- Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Smith, Joseph F. (Joseph Fielding), 1838-1918
- Registor for William Wines Phelps papers
- 2001 October
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Folder: 1 (Text)
- Folder: 14 (Text)
- Folder: 15 (Text)
- Folder: 3 (Text)
- Folder: 2 (Text)
- Folder: 5 (Text)
- Folder: 4 (Text)
- Folder: 7 (Text)
- Folder: 6 (Text)
- Folder: 9 (Text)
- Folder: 8 (Text)
- Folder: 11 (Text)
- Folder: 10 (Text)
- Folder: 13 (Text)
- Folder: 12 (Text)
- Folder: 16 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 17 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 18 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 19 (Graphic Materials)