James A. Little diaries and autobiography
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of a microfilm copy of a typescript. Little writes about his youth and his participation in the war with Mexico. He tells about his conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1849 and his subsequent migration to Utah in the same year. Little writes about his marriage to Mary Jane Lytle in December of 1849 and troubles with Indians in Utah Valley, Utah. Little kept a diary from 1 January 1856 to 12 August 1857 when he served as a missionary for the Mormon Church in England. Little later served on another mission for the Mormon Church in 1876, and he lived in Salt Lake City, Utah. He also tells about his relationship to Brigham Young, second president of the Mormon Church.
- Little, James A. (James Amasa), 1822-1908 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for pubilc research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from James A. Little diaies and autbiography must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
James A. Little (1822-1908) was a Mormon pioneer.
1 folder (92 p.) (0.08 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
These materials were microfilmed by the Brigham Young University Library through the courtesey of the owner, Harriet F. Little. These items were microfilmed from the 920 microfilm collection reel 15.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Harriet F. Little.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- City and Town Life
- Home and Family
- Little, James A. (James Amasa), 1822-1908 -- Diaries
- Little, Mary Jane Lytle, 1831-1921
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Personal narratives, American
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- England
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Nebraska
- Mormon pioneers
- Mormons -- Utah -- Salt Lake City
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Social Life and Customs
- Ute Indians -- Wars -- History
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of James A. Little diaries and autobiography
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 February 24
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States