Mads Jorgensen diaries and Letters
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS SC 2060
Scope and Contents
Handwritten letters and a diary. Also included are typescripts of diaries. Some items are in Danish. Most of the materials were produced when Jorgensen was serving on a mission for the Mormon Church in Scandinavia. The letters were written to his wives. His diaries also cover the time he spent in prison for polygamy.
- Jorgensen, Mads, 1827-1905 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Mads Jorgensen diaries and Letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Danish convert to the Mormon Church who migrated to Lake View, Utah, served twice as a Mormon missionary, and was interred for six months in the Utah penitentiary for polygamy.
2 inches (0.17 linear ft.)
Donated by Shirlee K. Last in 1983.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Shirlee K. Last; 1983.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Danish Americans -- Utah -- History
- Jorgensen, Mads, 1827-1905
- Lake View (Utah) -- History
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Scandinavia -- History -- 19th century
- Mormon missionaries -- Scandinavia
- Mormons -- Scandinavia -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Lake View -- History
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Prisons -- Utah -- History
- Register of Mads Jorgensen diaries and Letters
- In Progress
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 September 23
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.