Papal brief and letter
File — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS SC 1338
Scope and Contents
Printed copy of papal brief by Pius IX dated November 27, 1848. On the same page is found printed copies of his letter to Jose J. De Herrera dated December 4, 1848, with Herrera's reply, countersigned by Luis G. Cuevas dated February 12, 1849. In his item of November 27, Pius IX protests against the sacrilege practised on himself, declares all actions forced on him null and void, and appoints a commission to conduct the government of Gaeta, Italy in his absence. In his letter of December 4 to the president of Mexico, Pius laments his present situation and asks for moral and financial support of the Mexican people. Herrera replies that he will read the Pope's letter to the chamber of deputies and senate, that they will issue a decree, and that he will send Pius a copy. Herrera also invites the Pope to leave Gaeta and come to Mexico.
- Pius IX, Pope, 1792-1878 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papal brief and letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
256th pope of the Catholic Church.
1 item (0.01 linear ft.)
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Catholic Church -- Italy -- Gaeta -- History
- Catholic Church -- Mexico -- History
- Cuevas, Luis Gonzaga, 1799-1867
- Gaeta (Italy) -- History
- Herrera, José Joaquín de, 1792-1854
- Material Types
- Mexico -- History -- 1821-1861
- Pius IX, Pope, 1792-1878
- Popes -- Correspondence
- Presidents -- Mexico -- Correspondence
- Register of Papal brief and letter
- Morgan Crockett
- 2010 Aug 11
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.