James H. Buck papers
Scope and Contents
Contains a journal from Buck's mission to England, some books regarding his mission, postcards, photographs, a booklet of newspaper clippings, and documents stating ordination and draft registration. Materials date from between 1886 and 1962.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from James H. Buck papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
James H. Buck (1886-1953) was a train car inspector and Mormon missionary.
James Henry Buck was born January 31, 1886 in Nottingham, England to William Foulds Buck and Emma Emily Matilda Copeland. The family emigrated to the United States in 1885, settling in Wyoming. In 1907, Buck married Mary Emma Dawson. They had a son, but Mary died shortly thereafter. In 1913 he married Sarah Edith Cox, and together they had three children.
Buck worked as a coal miner and salesman before taking a job as a car inspector for the Union Pacific Railroad, where he worked for thirty-eight years. He also served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Great Britain from 1911 to 1914. Buck died November 6, 1953 in Ogden, Utah.
1 oversize folder (0.8 linear ft.)
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.02 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Jim Dearden in 2006.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Jim Dearden; 2006.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2009.
Additional folder processed by Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013.
Additional folder processed by Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Buck, James H. (James Henry), 1885-1953 -- Archives
- Buck, William F. (William Foulds), 1856-1921 (honoree)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--England
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Drafts (Documents)
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- England
- Mormon missionaries -- England
- Register of James H. Buck papers
- Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, curator
- 2009 June 5
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.