Dalton family diaries
Scope and Contents
The collection includes copies of the diaries of Charles Dalton (1810-1891) and John Luther Dalton (1843- ). Charles was an early convert to the Mormon Church, lived in Nauvoo, Illinois, and was an early pioneer to Utah. His diary is a fifteen-page typescript covering the years 1855 to 1858 during which he served a Mormon Church mission to the Indians of Idaho. He describes some contact with the Bannock and Nez Perce Indians, but most of the entries are short and relate to the repairs and other work he performed.
John Dalton's diary is a photocopy of the original with the inclusive dates of 8 Aug. 1892 - 6 Feb. 1893. It is about 50 leaves in length. John was quickly called as the president of the California Mission for the Mormon church when it was rumored he was to be charged with adultery by federal officials because he was a polygamist. He describes his journey to California and gives details of his activities as a mission president. The collection also includes miscellaneous items relating to the Dalton family including the typescript of a two-page biography of Charles Dalton.
- Dalton family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Dalton family diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
14 items (0.09 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Permission to copy given by Ida Dalton Drayer in 1976.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Permission to copy given; Ida Dalton Drayer; 1976.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Bannock Indians
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Idaho
- Church work with Indians -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Dalton, Charles, 1810-1891
- Dalton, John Luther, 1843-
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Latter Day Saints -- Biography
- Missions and Missionaries
- Nez Percé Indians -- History
- Register of Dalton family diaries
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 July 21
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.