History of Robert Gardner, Jr. / written by himself at St. George, Utah
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of typescript. Detailed account of frontier life in Canada; his family's conversion to Mormonism in the early 1840s; a trip to Nauvoo, Illinois, in June 1845; the trip across the plains to Utah in 1847; and life in pioneer Utah.
Also includes account of the author's mission to Canada (1857-1858) and his subsequent recall because of the Utah War, along with his family's move to settle St. George, Utah. Ends with text of Gardner's patriarchal blessing, genealogical information about the family, and excerpts from the journal of his brother, Archibald.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from History of Robert Gardner, Jr. / written by himself at St. George, Utah must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Utah pioneer, Mormon church official, polygamist, missionary to Canada (1857-1858), and mayor of St. George, Utah (1872-1880).
1 volume (63 leaves)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Canada -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Cotton Mission -- History
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Utah -- Sources
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Latter Day Saint converts -- Biography
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Canada
- Latter Day Saints -- Canada -- History
- Mormons -- Utah
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- Description and travel
- Polygamy -- Utah
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- United orders (Latter Day Saint churches) -- Utah -- History
- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Utah Expedition (1857-1858)
- Washington County (Utah) -- History
- Register of History of Robert Gardner, Jr. / written by himself at St. George, Utah
- In Progress
- Morgan Crockett
- 2010 July 20
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.