John Law Blythe papers
Scope and Contents
File includes copies of a handwritten biographical sketch of Blythe, written by one of his granddaughters, Pearl Elizabeth Mitchell Boyce; typescripts of some of Blythe's 1874 letters to Brigham Young (1801-1877) reporting on the progress of the Arizona mission and relations with the Indians; a diary covering 1857-1874 as well as extracts from 1870 and 1878-1880.
The 1857-1874 diary describes Blythe's conversion to the Mormon Church in California; emigrating to Utah; and daily life and activities in Utah. The 1870 excerpts provide a brief autobiographical sketch, along with genealogical information and family history. The portion covering 1878-1880 discusses the author's mission for the Mormon Church in Scotland.
- Tanner, George S. (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public access.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from MSS SC 791 must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Convert to the Mormon Church, polygamist, and Mormon Missionary to Scotland and to the Indians in Arizona.
2 folders (0.16 linear feet)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Arizona -- History -- To 1912
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Arizona
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--New Zealand
- Education -- Utah -- History -- Sources
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Arizona -- Sources
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Utah -- Sources
- Indians of North America
- Indians of North America -- Agriculture -- History -- Sources
- Mormon missionaries -- Arizona
- Mormon missionaries -- Scotland
- Mormons -- Colonization -- Arizona -- History
- United orders (Mormon Church) -- Arizona -- History
- Register of John Law Blythe papers
- In Progress
- Patsy Shin Hernandez
- 2010 July 20
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.