E. V. Carter papers
Scope and Contents
Handwritten record (plus photocopies) of Carter's journey frm Ohio to St. Louis via Wisconsin. ALS's dated Oct. 15, 24, 1845 (plus photocopies) to his wife, Mary Hine Carter, are revised transcripts of diary. Diary entry for November 13 describes a visit to the Nauvoo, Illinois Temple.
This is a journal kept by E.V. Carter during his journey from Tallmadge, Ohio, to St. Louis, Missouri. He wrote of a lecturer, "Mr. Little John," at a Methodist house in White Pigeon Prarie, (Iowa?). Carter disliked the irreverant tone of the lecturer and his inappropriate use of the name of God. Carter was very interested in religion and told about his visit to the Nauvoo temple (built by the Mormon Church) in Illinois. He mostly went to the Presbyterian Church and wrote about his agreements and disagreements with the principles taught by the Presbyterian preachers. At the end of his journal, Carter copied a letter he had written to his wife about the places he had been visiting at that time.
- Carter, E. V. (Elbert Victor), 1810- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Photocopies and typescript are for patron use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from E.V. Carter papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Major, U.S. Army.
3 folders (0.1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Purchased from Fred A. Rosenstock, 1979.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased; Fred A. Rosenstock; 1979.
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopies of originals available in Folder 2. Transcriptions available in Folder 3.
- Carter, E. V. (Elbert Victor), 1810- -- Diaries
- Carter, E. V. (Elbert Victor), 1810- -- Correspondence
- Carter, Mary H. (Mary Hine) -- Correspondence
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Methodism -- History -- Sources
- Middle West -- Description and travel
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Nauvoo Temple (Nauvoo, Ill. : 1841-1850)
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Presbyterianism -- History -- Sources
- United States. Army -- Officers--Diaries
- Register of E. V. Carter papers
- Elisa Visick
- 2010 July 2
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.