Thomas Karren mission journals
Scope and Contents
Materials include two original volumes of journals kept by Karren while serving as a missionary in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii). He describes learning the language, teaching doctrines and principles, developing the branch, and attending and holding conferences as well as dealings with ministers of other religions, miracles that occurred, and international events affecting the Sandwich Islands. The end of volume II includes some poems and song lyrics by Karren. Folders three through five contain photocopies and transcripts of the original journals. Dated 1853-1854.
- Karren, Thomas, 1810-1876 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Thomas Karren mission journals must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Thomas Karren (1810-1876) was a Mormon pioneer in Utah.
Thomas Karren was born on May 2, 1810, on the Isle of Man. He married Ann Ratcliff in England in 1833. He served in the Mormon Battalion (Company E) from 1846 to 1847, and was then called to serve as a missionary in Hawaii from 1853 to 1854. He was the first settler in Lehi, Utah. He later married Selina Miller (1857), Elizabeth Milne (1865), Hannah East (1865), and Elizabeth Bowen (1868). He passed away April 4, 1876, in Lehi, Utah County, Utah.
5 folders (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Lydia Smith in 1988.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Lydia Smith; 1988.
Mormon diarists (The Archives of the Mormon Experience.)
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopies of both volumes are included in collection.
Processed; H. Christine Swindler; 22 June 2007.
Updated; Ryan K. Lee; 2013.
Updated; Zoë Brimhall; 2015.
- American poetry
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Hawaii
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Sandwich Islands Mission
- Karren, Thomas, 1810-1876 -- Diaries
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- Hawaii
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Hawaii -- Diaries
- Latter Day Saints -- Hawaii
- Missions and Missionaries
- Register of Thomas Karren mission journals
- Karen Glenn and H. Christine Swindler, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.