Jens C. Gasberg journal
File — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 3880
Scope and Contents
Journal written by Jens C. Gasberg in Danish between 1865 and 1911. Entries describe activities, missionary service for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, courtship, journey to Brigham City, Utah, family events, trial for polygamy, and other topics. Also includes inserted photographs, newspaper clippings, and other material. Collection also includes an English translation of the journal.
- Gasberg, Jens C. (Jens Christian), 1840-1924 (Creator, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials in Danish with an English translation.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Jens C. Gasberg journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
Jens C. Gasberg (1840-1924) was a Mormon photographer in Brigham City, Utah. He was called to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Denmark in 1865, and served for three-and-a-half years. He was tried on polygamy-related charges in 1887, but was acquited.
2 folders (0.16 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Virginia Campbell; 1990.
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Brigham City (Utah) -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Denmark -- History
- Danish Americans -- Utah -- Diaries
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Mormon missionaries -- Denmark -- Diaries
- Mormons -- Utah -- Diaries
- Polygamy -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Utah -- Emigration and immigration -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Register of Jens C. Gasberg journal
- Rose Frank
- 10 June 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.