Newell Weight papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains materials that were collected during Weight's years of teaching music at Provo High School, Brigham Young University, and University of Utah. It includes audiotapes, photographs, programs, newspaper clippings, and tour information. Materials dated 1948-1984.
- Weight, Newell (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Newell Weight papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Newell Weight (1916-2009) was an academic music educator in Utah.
Newell Bryan Weight was born in Springville, Utah on August 1, 1916, to parents Ralph and Minerva Bryan Weight. He married Dorothy Hill on July 20, 1936 in Springville, Utah. After graduating from Brigham Young University with a master's degree in music education, he received his doctorate in music from University of Southern California.
Weight began working at Provo High School in 1948, but the following year moved to Brigham Young University and founded the BYU A Cappella Choir, serving as director for thirteen years. In 1962, he moved to the University of Utah where he expanded and refined their a cappella choir. While there, his choirs received two Grammy nominations. At both schools, the choirs sang at multiple events for school and church throughout the year, and he took his students on annual tours in the western United States. He served as chairman of the Music Department at the University of Utah, until retiring in 1984.
Weight died on August 1, 2009 in Orem, Utah.
9 folders (0.4 linear ft.)
7 boxes (5.2 linear ft.)
1 oversize folder (0.2 linear ft.)
7 oversize boxes (5 linear ft.)
3 film boxes (3.75 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Gary H. Weight in 2013.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Gary H. Weight; 2013.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
Processed; Cindy Brightenburg, Special Collections Reference Assistant; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Register of Newell Weight papers
- Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor
- 2014 January 8
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Audio)
- Box: 12 (Audio)
- Box: 13 (Audio)
- Box: 14 (Audio)
- Box: 15 (Audio)
- Box: 16 (Audio)
- Folder: 17 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 18 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 19 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 20 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 21 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 22 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 23 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 24 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 25 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 26 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 27 (Graphic Materials)