Mark K. Allen papers
Scope and Contents
Contains correspondence, personal and professional papers, printed materials, photographs, and newspaper clippings of Brigham Young University professor of psychology, Mark K. Allen, his mother, Inez Knight Allen, and his grandfather who was a Utah businessman and financier, Jesse Knight. Allen's papers include professional records dealing with the tenure and chairmanship of the Psychology Department at BYU (1946-1975). Papers also deal with Allen as a student and his faculty years at BYU, and his involvement with the Utah State Training School in American Fork, Utah. He was the first Assistant Superintendent and psychologist for that school (1932-1945). For thirty-six years, he served as clinical consultant. Allen was the second psychologist to be licensed in the state of Utah. Also includes 35mm slides; motion picture film; photographic prints and negatives dealing with friends, travel, and vacations; Allen's mission for the Mormon Church in New York City (1927-1928); and the Utah State Training School among other subjects.
Conditions Governing Access
Box 2-9, 14: Open for public research. Box 1, 10-13: Privacy restricted; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Personal and professional papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Professor of psychology at Brigham Young University.
14 cartons (14 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2031.xml
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Phyllis Allen; 1997.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Allen, Inez Knight, 1876-1937
- Allen, Mark K. (Mark Knight), 1905-1996 -- Archives
- Amateur films
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty--History
- Brigham Young University -- Students--History
- Brigham Young University. Department of Psychology
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--New York (State)--New York--History
- Knight, Jesse, 1845-1921
- Mental Health
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- New York (State) -- New York -- History
- Photographic prints
- Science, Technology, and Health
- Slides (Photography)
- Utah State Training School -- History
- Register of Mark K. Allen papers
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 May 4
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Carton: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 14 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 2 (Mixed Materials)