Wilford E. Smith personal narratives
Scope and Contents
Includes four volumes of autobiographical writings and two volumes of poems, essays, addresses, messages to his children, and other information. Autobiographical writings reflect his early life in Holladay, Utah, 1916-1934; work for the Civilian Conservation Corps in Utah, 1935; Latter-day Saint mission to New Zealand, 1936-1938; experiences as a student athlete at Brigham Young University, 1939, and the University of Utah, 1940-1943; service as a chaplain in World War II; experiences as a guard in the Salt Lake County Jail, 1958; participation in several BYU overseas tours, 1954-1984; faculty member for BYU Semester Abroad in Salzburg, Austria, and Grenoble, France, 1966, and in Paris, France, 1977; work as a teacher for NATO forces in Europe, 1970-1971; service as president of the Fiji Suva Mission, 1981-1984; and other activities.
- approximately 1980-1998
- Smith, Wilford E., 1916-2010 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Personal narratives must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Faculty member in Department of Sociology at Brigham Young University, 1947-1981.
6 folders (0.6linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Wilford E. Smith; 1999.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Brigham Young University -- Sports
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty
- Brigham Young University -- Students
- Brigham Young University
- Brigham Young University. Department of Sociology
- Brigham Young University. Department of Travel Study
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
- Colleges and Universities
- Foreign study
- Grenoble (France)
- Holladay (Utah)
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Fiji
- Mormon chaplains
- Mormon missionaries -- New Zealand
- Paris (France)
- Poetry -- 20th century
- Prisons -- Officials and employees
- Prisons -- Utah
- Salzburg (Austria)
- Smith, Wilford E., 1916-2010
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- University of Utah -- Sports
- University of Utah -- Students
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Chaplains
- Register of Wilford E. Smith personal narratives
- Andrea Wyss
- 2011 April 20
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States