I remember when
Scope and Contents
Autobiography details memories of his childhood in Salt Lake County, Utah; church service, including a Latter-day Saint Mission to the Central States, 1937-1939; attendance at BYU; service in the U.S. Navy during World War II; marriage; teaching LDS seminary in Logan and Salt Lake City, Utah; teaching LDS institute at University of Alberta (Canada) and Southern Utah University; employment at BYU; service as president of the Southwest Indian Mission; and service as president of Hawaii Temple Visitors' Center. Also contains significant information about his wife, Martha Afton Harris, their children, and other family members; and includes photographic images. Autobiographical sketch is included of his mother, Edith Mae Martin. Also inclues biographical sketches of his father, Ernest William Felt; grandfather, David Pile Felt; and great-grandparents, Mary Louise Pile, Nathaniel Henry Felt, and George Speirs.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from I remember when must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Paul E. Felt served in the following capacities at Brigham Young University: student body president, 1941-1942; student coordinator, 1957-1962; director of Indian Affairs, 1963-1971; College of Religion teacher, 1974-1981; and director of Israel semester abroad, 1980.
1 item (345 p.)(0.15 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Paul E. Felt passed away on 9 February 1999. His widow, Afton, gave a copy of his personal history to Brian Reeves on 9 March 1999, in response to the latter's request for documentation on Paul's life. The Archives previously received a copy of 13 pages from this autobiography (A98-208); the 13 pages were discarded.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; M. Afton Felt; 1999.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Brigham Young University -- Students
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty
- Brigham Young University. Indian Education Department
- Church Educational System (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Hawaii Temple (Laie, Hawaii)
- Hawaii Temple (Laie, Hawaii)
- Home and Family
- Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- Southwest, New
- Latter Day Saints -- Biography
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Central States
- Salt Lake County (Utah)
- Social Life and Customs
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States -- Personal narratives
- Register of I remember when
- Benajmin Sipes
- 2010 December 17
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.