Skip to main content

Salem Ward records

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 9113

Content Description

Materials include a collection of records related to the Salem Ward in Salem, Utah. Includes documents related to the founding of the ward in the late 1800s, including a copy of the Articles of Incorporation, some membership certificates, financial records of the ward Relief Society, stock certificates for Salem Irrigation Canal Company from the 1940s, and documents related to the construction of a meetinghouse in 1970. Dated 1873-1970.

Dates

  • 1873-1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Salem Ward records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Administrative History

The Salem Ward in Salem, Utah was created in 1877 and served members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salem and in the surrounding areas of Payson and Spanish Fork.

The Church of Jesus Christ began several businesses in the Salem, Utah area in the 1860s, and the Salem Ward was formed in 1877. The first bishop of the Salem Ward was Robert H. Davis. Throughout its history, the Salem Ward belonged to the Utah Stake (1877-1901), the Nebo Stake (1901-1924), and the Palmyra Stake (1924-1956). In 1956 the stake and ward boundaries changed again, and the original Salem Ward ended as it split into the Salem 1st and 2nd Wards. Both successive wards formed part of the Spanish Fork Stake.

Administrative History

The Salem 1st Ward is an operating ward for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salem, Utah.

The Salem 1st Ward was created in 1956 when the original Salem Ward was split in two. At the time of its creation, the Salem 1st Ward formed part of the Spanish Fork Stake. In 1996 the stake boundaries were changed and the 1st Ward became part of the Salem West Stake.

Administrative History

The Salem 2nd Ward is an operating ward for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salem, Utah.

The Salem 2nd Ward was created in 1956 when the original Salem Ward was split in two. At the time of its creation, the Salem 2nd Ward formed part of the Spanish Fork Stake. In 1996 the stake boundaries were changed and the 2nd Ward became part of the Salem West Stake.

Extent

1 folder (0.05 linear ft.)

Language

English

Custodial History

Donated by Lawrence Rees, former clerk of the Salem 1st ward, on February 20, 2018.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Lawrence Rees; February 20, 2018.

Appraisal

LDS, Utah and the American West cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.A.I.1 and 4, November 2013).

Processing Information

Processed; Shaelyn Stohl, student manuscript processor, and Ryan K. Lee, curator; 2018.
Title
Register of Salem Ward records
Status
Completed
Author
Shaelyn Stohl
Date
2018 March 12
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States