Laraine Day papers
Scope and Contents
Personal and professional papers of motion picture actress Laraine Day, including scrapbooks, photographs, publications, awards, clippings, and audiovisual materials. Audiovisual materials include major motion pictures on film, audiotapes of various programs, and homemade movies. Photographs include motion picture stills, publicity shots, and personal photographs. Also contains formal dress clothing worn by Laraine Day during the 1940s and 1950s. Collection also includes clippings, photographs, and publications related to the career of baseball player Leo Durocher, which Laraine was involved with during their marriage in the 1950s. Materials dated 1900 to 1989.
- Day, Laraine, 1920-2007 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public access. Some photographs kept in cold storage; requires 24 hours advance notice to access.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
Laraine Day was born October 13, 1920 in Roosevelt, Utah to Clarence Irwin Johnson and Ada Mayrich Rich Johnson. When she was young, her parents moved to Long Beach, where she began an acting career with the Long Beach Players. Her film debut was in 1937 with a small part in "Stella Dallas." She moved to Beverly Hills as she rose in stardom, and remained there for most her life. She is best known for Alfred Hitchcock's "Foreign Correspondent" and her recurring role in the Dr. Kildare series. She was married three times, first to singer Ray Hendricks (1942-1947), then to baseball manager Leo Durocher (1948-1960), and finally to TV producer Michel Grilikhes (1961-2007). She adopted children with her first two husbands, and had two biological daughters with Michel, Dana and Gigi. During the later part of her career, she became active in SHARE inc., a charitable organization benefitting handicapped individuals. She was also active in the Make America Better campaign in the 1970s. Following the death of Michel, she moved back to Utah in 2007 to be near her daughter Gigi. Laraine Day passed away November 10, 2007 in Ivins, Utah.
16 oversize boxes (29.7 linear ft.)
16 boxes (8 linear ft.)
1 carton (1 linear ft.)
27 film boxes (30.9 linear ft.)
5 folders (0.05 linear ft.)
4 oversize folders (1 linear ft.)
57 online resource
Language of Materials
Arranged in three series: 1. Laraine Day personal papers, approximately 1906-1975. 2. Laraine Day professional papers, 1900-1989. 3. Laraine Day historical clothing, 1940s-1950s.
Donated by Laraine Day in 1985 and 1987 and by Gigi Bell, daughter of Laraine Day, in 2010 and 2017.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Laraine Day; 1985, 1987.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Gigi Bell; 2010, June 2017, August 2017.
Arts and Communications Collection development policy.
Processed; Maddi Stanley; September-October 2017.
Processed; Deven Hunsaker and Karen Glenn, 2022 March. Addendum added, materials rehoused and item and file level description created.
- Human Document record (parts 2 & 5); Human Document record (parts 3& 6); Unnamed broken record (2); National Real Estate Association plaque; Plaque with gold panner statue; plaque with state of Texas outline; Des Moines, Iowa key to the city plaque; National Association of Real Estate plaque; 1968 American Cancer Society plaque; 1 folder of moldy clippings; 31 duplicate photos (including publicity photos and production stills); My Son, My Son VHS; Canada tourism brochure; Lamar Johnson 1937 yearbook; Empty envelope addressed to Leo Durocher; San Antonio Chamber of Congress Amabssador-at-large plaque; Turner Entertainment Company poster, framed; moldy scrapbook pages and clippings;
- Actresses -- California -- Photographs
- Baseball managers
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Day, Laraine, 1920-2007
- Mormons in motion pictures
- Motion picture actors and actresses -- California -- Los Angeles
- Motion pictures
- Motion pictures, American
- Women's clothing
- Register of Laraine Day papers
- Maddi Stanley
- 2017 September 7
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States