True bill for riot on 10th June 44
Scope and Contents
A handwritten bill for a riot held on 10 June 1844. The item relates to an infraction related to the property of Francis M. Higbee. Includes signature of Alpheus Cutler.
- date of production not identified
- Higbee, Francis M. (Francis Marion), 1820- (former owner, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the True bill for riot on 10th June 44 must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Francis M. Higbee (approximately 1820-1850) was an attorney and merchant in Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois.
Francis Marion Higbee was born in 1820 to Elias Higbee and Sarah Elizabeth Ward in Tate, Clermont, Ohio. Higbee was baptized into the LDS church in 1832 and moved with the saints between the states of Missouri, Ohio, and Illinois. He was arraigned with Joseph Smith in Missouri on November 11, 1838. In 1842 he was made aide-de-camp to the major general of the Nauvoo Legion. Two years later on May 18, 1844 Higbee was excommunicated from the LDS church. Soon after, Higbee started the newspaper Nauvoo Expositor and formed a new church. Two LDS men identified Higbee as part of the mob that murdered Joseph and Hyrum Smith. He lived in Hancock, Illinois in 1850, but documents of his death have yet to be found.
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Purchased from Steve Barnett in 1982.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased; Steve Barnett; February 19, 1982.
LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1, November 2013.)
Processed; Sadie Hutchinson, student manuscript processor; 2015.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History -- 19th century
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Civil Procedure and Courts
- Cutler, Alpheus, 1784-1864
- Ex-church members -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Latter Day Saint churches -- History -- 19th century
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Law -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Register of True bill for riot on 10th June 44
- Sadie Hutchinson
- 2015 July 28
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.