William Henry Jackson papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes multiple typescripts of two journals (1866-1867), correspondence (1924-1953), book manuscripts, news clippings (1929-1966), and mementos from Jackson's round-the-world trip for the World Transportation Commission (1894-1896). The photographs and art work, which comprise the bulk of the collection, include 1082 individual items. Of the 1082, approximately 1003 photographs and 31 pieces of art can be clearly attributed to William Henry Jackson. The photographic collection is rich in prints and spans every phase of his long and prolific career.
- Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research. Photographs kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the William Henry Jackson papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
William Henry Jackson, 1843-1942, is best known as one of the most renowned 19th Century landscape photographers of the West, but he is also well-known for his artistic works in various mediums. His 99 years closely spanned the first century of the newest visual art called photography. Although his best known work centers on the Western United States, he also traveled extensively in Mexico and throughout the world and his visual work and writings reflect his broad interests and abilities.
8 boxes (4 linear ft.)
7 oversize boxes (11.62 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
Folder-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1608.xml
These manuscripts, photographs, and works of art were separated from the R. S. Ellison Collection, MSS 782, which was acquired by the BYU Library from Fred Rosenstock, a book and art dealer in Denver, Colorado. For further information on the provenance of the Ellison Collection, see the register of that collection and the provenance statement in the register of the Walter Mason Camp Collection (Ellison also acquired papers of Camp). Fourteen photographs were donated in 1975 by Dean Larsen. In 1978, a large black-and-white positive transparency of the Rio de Las Animas was donated by Jennie Weeks of Salt Lake City, Utah, and in 1989, eleven landscape photographs were purchased from Ken Baker, an Oregon book dealer. The final addition, a stereo view of the granite quarry for the Salt Lake Temple, was donated in 1996 by Richard and Johanna Wynns. Any additional Jackson photographs acquired by Special Collections will be cataloged separately and not added to this collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased; Rosenstock; 1975.
Photographs (Photograph Archives).
Books acquired with collection were transfered to the library's print collection. A list of these items is included in the collection. (Box 2 Folder 6)
- Algiers (Algeria) -- Photographs
- Art -- West (U.S.)
- Artists -- United States
- Australia -- Photographs
- China -- Photographs
- Colorado -- Photographs
- Egypt -- Photographs
- India -- Photographs
- Indians of North America -- Photographs
- Jackson, Clarence S.
- Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942
- Japan -- Photographs
- Material Types
- New Zealand -- Photographs
- Oil paintings
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Photographers -- United States
- Photographic prints
- Russia (Federation) -- Photographs
- Sri Lanka -- Photographs
- Utah -- Photographs
- Watercolors (Paintings)
- West (U.S.) -- Photographs
- Register of William Henry Jackson papers
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 March 31
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Box: 17 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 7 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 16 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 6 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 15 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize: 21 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 20 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 19 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 18 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize: 11 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize: 12 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize: 10 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize: 13 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize: 14 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize: 9 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 5 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 3 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 4 (Graphic Materials)