Skip to main content

College of Education records of the Church Educational System, 1973-1977

 Series — Box: 9, Folder: 3-9
Identifier: UA 700 Series 8

Scope and Contents

Includes records of the Church Educational System (CES) in relation to the Brigham Young University College of Education including correspondence and meeting notes to and from CES. Materials date from 1973 to 1977.

Dates

  • 1973-1977

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the David O. McKay of Education Deans records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection: The College of Education (1921-1997) oversaw various programs for future educators at Brigham Young University.

The College of Education, previously known as the School of Education, was created in 1921 from by the newly appointed President Harris. The organization was created to qualify students to be supervisors, elementary teachers, high school instructors, or high school principals under the Church and State school systems. The four main purposes were outlined as: (1) Preparing teachers for public and private schools. (2) Providing graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech/language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers. (3) Offering research-based graduate programs. (4) Researching educational processes and issues. Deans and acting deans of the College included John C. Swenson (1921-1924), L. John Nuttall (1924-1930), Amos N. Merrell (1930-1946), Asahel D. Woodruff (1955-1961), A. John Clarke (1961-1962), Antone K. Romney (1962-1970), Stephen L. Alley (1970-1974), Curtis N. Van Alfen (1974-1985), Ralph B. Smith (1985-1989), Dan W. Andersen (1989-1993), and Robert S. Patterson (1993-1997).

Administrative History

From the Collection: The David O. McKay School of Education (1997-) oversees various programs at Brigham Young University for future educators.

The David O. McKay School of Education, formerly called the College of Education, was formed in 1997. The organization's four purposes are outlined as: 1. To prepare teachers for public and private Schools; 2. To provide graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech-language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers; 3. To offer research-based graduate programs; 4. To research educational processes and issues. Robert S. Patterson (1996-2003), K. Richard Young (2003-2013), and Mary Anne Prater (2013- ).

Extent

7 folders

Language

English