College of Nursing meeting minutes, reports, and correspondence, 1970-2007
Scope and Contents
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
The School of Nursing was renamed the College of Nursing in 1958. The college existed under a humanistic approach to nursing, focusing on the intrinsic worth of the individual, his or her ability to function in an environment, to be interdependent, and to operate independently. The college first allowed students into the baccalaureate program with advanced standing beginning in the fall of 1966. The following individuals have served as deans of the college: L. Bernice Chapman (1959-1960), Beulah Ream Allen (1961-1965), Lennia Morrison (1966-1967), Elaine Murphy (1968-1971), Maxine J. Cope (1972-1980), Elaine D. Dyer (1980-1987), June Leifson (1987-1994), Sandra Rogers (1994-2000), Elaine S. Marshall (2000-2007), and Mary Williams (2007-).
In September of 1963, the associate degree in the College of Nursing was established, making it one of the few institutions in the country to offer an associate degree in conjunction with a four-year program. During the late 1960s, the college faculty made a change in the curriculum, requiring students to learn the separate role of nursing in correlation to the reaction of an individual to varied circumstances affecting him socially, emotionally, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually, which can be referred to as the nursing model. The previous method of study was known as the medical model, which had students study and practice nursing in relation to specific diseases.