Skip to main content

Clarence D. Taylor personal papers, 1932-2005

Identifier: MSS 3254 Series 4

Scope and Contents

Contains various personal papers of Taylor, including journals, military papers, biographical sketches, written work, and funeral materials. Dated 1938-2005.


  • 1932-2005


Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Clarence D. Taylor papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

From the Collection:

Clarence D. Taylor (1909-2005) was a family historian in Provo, Utah.

Clarence Dixon Taylor was born May 11, 1909, in Provo, Utah, to Arthur N. Taylor and Maria Dixon Taylor. He grew up in Provo, Utah. From 1930 to 1933, Taylor served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the South African mission. Taylor graduated from Brigham Young University in 1936. He then worked at his family's furniture business until it closed in 1964. After the furniture business closed, he spent the next ten years before he retired managing accounts in the BYU Bookstore. During World War II, Taylor served in the European Theatre. He spent much of his life gathering family history information about his ancestors.

Clarence Dixon Taylor died May 21, 2005.

Biographical History

From the Collection:

Henry A. Dixon (1835-1884) was a Latter-Day Saint convert, missionary, bookkeeper, and family man.

Henry Aldous Dixon was born on March 14, 1835 in Grahamstown, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa, the son of John Henry and Judith Boardman Dixon. Henry grew up in a religious environment, and accepted the teachings of LDS missionaries at an early age, being baptised into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on his 21st birthday, in 1856. Later in the year, he sailed for England, then in 1857, continued on to the United States of America. From there, he immediately continued on to join the Saints because an elderly couple, the Walkers, hired him to drive their cattle and care for their wagon. They arrived in the Salt Lake City valley on September 12, 1857. In 1860-1865, Henry was sent on a mission to England and South Africa, where he was able to teach in his hometown. After returning to Utah, Henry married Sarah DeGrey on January 21, 1865, and together they had 9 children. Four years later, he married a second wife, Mary Ann Smith, on April 13, 1869, and together they had 7 children. Ten years later, Henry was called on a second LDS mission to Great Britain. During the trip, his ship hit an ice burg, but was able to limp to port where he chose a different ship to finish the journey. This time, he worked as a missionary for only one year before being released and sent home to recover from ill health.

In 1884, Henry came down with pneumonia, and died on May 4, 1884, in Provo, Utah.


1 oversize box

4 boxes

Language of Materials