Skip to main content

J Malan Heslop papers, 1944-2004

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS P 661 Series 9

Scope and Contents

Primarily consists of photocopies of articles, often written by J Malan Heslop and including his photographs. Also, Heslop created forty-seven photographic indexes, which were used extensively to describe his photographs. The manuscripts form a small portion of this series and include two folders of incoming correspondence, a sampling of photographic work assignments, and various portions of book manuscripts, usually authored by Heslop. Also included are Heslop family histories and autobiographies authored by J and Fae Heslop and Jesse Heslop, along with publications about the European ancestry of the Heslop and Malan families. Also includes Heslop's small collection of World War II artifacts which he gathered while he was in Europe during World War II. Materials dated 1944-2004.


  • 1944-2004


Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from J Malan Heslop photographs and other material must be obtained from the Supervisor of References Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

Eleanor Fae Heslop (1923-2009) was the wife of J Malan Heslop. Eleanor Fae Heslop, who was known throughout her life as Fae, was born Eleanor Fae Stokes to Joseph Alfred Stokes and Georgiana Petersen on November 29, 1923. She met J Malan Heslop at Weber College, Ogden, Utah, and they were married in the Salt Lake Temple on 12 May 1944. J shipped out for Europe almost immediately while Fae worked at the Boy Scout office in Ogden, Utah. After World War II they moved to Logan, Utah, where J attended Utah State Agricultural College and Fae worked in the purchasing department of the college. They moved to Salt Lake City in 1948 when J joined the Deseret News staff as chief photographer.

J and Fae raised a family of five children—Paul, daughter Lyn, Scott, Ann, and Don and became the grandparents of nineteen. During J’s busy career, Fae was not often able to accompany him on his international travels; however, in 1985 she was one of the tour guides on the BYU “Temples of Europe and Lands of the Bible Tour.” Although she didn’t contribute photographs she did maintain a journal of this trip. She served with J as mission president of the Chicago North Mission in the late 1980s.

It was during J’s retirement years that they were able to travel extensively, including internationally, and Fae became an important photographer in documenting these trips. After almost 65 years of marriage, Fae passed away on 21 March 2009.

Biographical History

Jesse Heslop (1892-1979) was a farmer, an amateur photographer, and the father of J Malan Heslop. Jesse Heslop was born 22 December 1892 in West Weber, Weber, Utah, to George Heslop and Cynthia Lois Green, the fifth son and seventh child of a family of thirteen. His father was a horse breeder and a farmer and Jesse followed the family tradition. He met his future wife, Zella Malan, while attending Weber Academy, later Weber College, in Ogden, Utah. They did not marry until 27 April 1921 in the Salt Lake Temple because Jesse chose to answer a mission call received in December 1916 from Joseph F. Smith, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). Jesse was to serve almost four years in Tahiti from 1917-1920, arriving home on 16 October 1920. Jesse continued his life’s work as a farmer as their family grew with the birth of their three children—J Malan, LeRoyden, and Sharon—and subsequently fifteen grandchildren. Jesse acquired a glass plate camera around 1906 and, by the time J was born in 1923, Jesse had the popular Kodak roll film folding camera. He inspired J with the same love of photography, even using their kitchen as a dark room one night to show him how to make photo prints. In 1958, Jesse traveled with his oldest son, J, to England for the dedication of the LDS London Temple. They spent almost a month in England and Jesse took numerous photographs and was even featured on the cover a Church News in a photograph taken by his son J. His wife, Zella, passed away on 23 December 1975 and on 30 April 1979, Jesse Heslop passed away at his home in Salt Lake City.


15 boxes (8 linear ft.)

Language of Materials